Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Social Network (2010)

OK, alright! I finally watched this movie. I will not hesitate to say that the guy who invented Facebook doesn't really interest me much. His story really isn't that compelling and it seems like he used a lot of people to become a billionaire. Welcome to America! Free enterprise anyone?

Seriously though, the Social Network has garnered an endless amount of attention and praise. I must admit it is for good reason. The acting is comparable to the top movies of 2010. The director is David Fincher of Seven and Fight Club fame. The soundtrack is masterfully done by the likes of Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) and Atticus Ross. And no matter how truly disinterested I am with the life of Mark Zuckerberg the people behind the movie held my attention the entire two hours.

Quickly summarized, The Social Network is about Zuckerberg, a computer programming genius and Harvard student (Jesse Eisenberg), and how he basically had an idea, stole a few more, and screwed various people on his way to creating the multi-billion dollar global phenomena called Facebook. I would say more, but in my opinion that really is the extent of the plot line. Other major characters are Zuckerbergs best friend, Eduardo Saverin (James Garfield), the Winklevoss twins (Armie Hammer), and Sean Parker (Justin Timberlake) of Napster infamy. All of these characters are either suing Zuckerberg or riding his coattails to riches. Shenanigans ensue.

I know what your are thinking, B-O-R-I-N-G! The truth, it is anything but boring and is deserving of any movie goers attention. The critics aren't always right about the films they tout as the real deal. With the The Social Network they are. However, I don't believe this is the best movie of the year. It will earn the most Oscar nominations, including Best Actor, Best Film, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Original Score, and Best Supporting Actor. And Probably win most of the them.

Recommendation: This film is a must see. It isn't as lame as it looks on a trailer. It's not as boring as the real story more than likely is, or true for that matter. The acting and directing are stellar. The soundtrack is one of the years best. The rating is PG-13 and appropriately labeled. Its nice and safe for teenagers. The language isn't bad, although there are a few "F-Bombs". There isn't much sexuality going on and there is some drug use. I reccomend this movie to anyone over the age of 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment