There is no doubt about it, Hollywood loves gay. And so does the Academy who awards Hollywood's finest at its annual Oscar event. With that said, there is nothing wrong with that and to prove this fact further The Kids are Alright has earned multiple Oscar nominations. Rightfully so, it is a great movie. I say this as an ordained minister at a Christian church which for most readers will more than likely be deemed unusual. This is fine by me. I have a soft heart for the homosexual community and believe that they should be treated as equals by the church in general.
It hasn't been an easy road confronting theology and ideology to come to a better understanding of a homosexual world I couldn't possibly understand as a straight man. Movies have been as essential platform in challenging my thoughts and beliefs on the subject. I first began by watching Brokeback Mountain. It took me several weeks to finish as it is strange for a heterosexual male to witness two men passionately loving one another. I must say that the movie was spectacular and even made me cry. I also have to say that the movie Milk was amazing and was deserving of all the attention that it attracted. In conclusion, I have continued my journey as a straight man attempting to confront his ideology on homosexuality by viewingThe Kids are Alright.
The movie is about Nic (Annette Benning) and Jules (Juliann Moore) who are a married lesbian couple. Nic is a physician and Jules has had and up and down working career. Jules has spent most of their long-term relationship in the professional shadow of Nic and has had a short list of failed upstart businesses. In the film, she is working on a landscaping business. Their children are Joni (Mia Wasikowska), an eighteen year old about to begin college, and Laser (Josh Hutcherson), a typical 15 year-old boy. As a family they have typical problems. Josh's best friend is of questionable character and Joni is a blossoming women that has appropriate conflict with her parents, mainly with Nic, who as a physician has some problems with control. Jules, as alluded to above, has issues with inadequacy.
As the plot emerges, it is discovered that Laser wants to know who his and Joni's father donor was. Since Joni is 18 and the only one who would be interested in knowing and considering Nic has made it a family rule for them not to know, Laser convinces her to find out the answer. Soon enough they find out that their donor fathers name is Paul (Mark Ruffalo) and they set-up a meeting with him to learn more of who he is. Jules somewhat approves of the children's desire and Nic of course adamantly disagrees. Shenanigans ensue!
Strengths: The acting in the film is exemplary. The pacing keeps you interested. The plot is candid and is revealing as far as the dynamics of homosexual families are concerned. Annette Benning and Mark Ruffalo both earned Oscar nominations for their performances and are justly rewarded; however, I felt that Juliann Moore deserved a nomination more so than Benning.
Weaknesses: The only weakness I can find is sensitive subject matter, which really isn't a weakness. It is really knowing that some folks won't want to see a movie about a lesbian couple and their family.
Recommendation: This film is not for everyone. It is definitely a rated R movie. It's not really appropriate for anyone under 16 years of age. The language is bad at times. Their is male and female nudity, plus several scenes of extreme sexual nature. The subject matter won't be for everyone. If you have a problem with homosexuality then this film is not for you. Don't even bother. It should go without saying that if you are homosexual then by all means watch this movie, especially if your interested in having a family of your own someday. This movie would also be good for someone like myself who is interested in challenging their own thought and ideas about sexuality and families. I know I can't be the only "hetero" who is. Overall its a great film worth viewing, even though I think other films of the same material are better.
No comments:
Post a Comment